Friday, May 15, 2015

Why we reflect

Did you know reflection is the most important part of the learning process? Harvard Business School
did a study and found that people who reflect on their work perform significantly better in all tasks than those that do not.

This week, we will be reflecting on all of our units and the concepts we learned about this year. We will revisit our essential questions and discuss how each unit links together.

Chat about the following list of concepts and essential questions with your child. I've attached a great list of 40 reflection questions to help spur conversation.

Unit 1: Who Am I as a Learner?

  • What makes a community?
  • What is my role in the success or failure of a group?
  • How do I persevere when things get tough?
  • Why is it important to give evidence for my ideas?
 
Unit 2: Perception
  • How do I see myself?
  • How/Why is my perception of myself different from how others see me?
  • What shapes my ideas about people?
  • What shapes people's ideas about me?
 
Unit 3: Struggle
  • What does struggle mean to me?
  • How do others interpret/perceive their own struggles?
  • What impact does struggle have on people's character?
  • How do I define struggle?
 
Unit 4: Personal Accountability
  • What motivates me?
  • How do the actions of others impact me?
  • How do my actions impact others?
  • What is worth fighting for?
 
Unit 5: Looking Beyond Myself
  • How do we know what is true?
  • How do we make meaning of our world?
  • Why is it important even if it's not important to me?
 
Unit 6: Maturity
  • How do the choices I make as an adolescent affect how I am as a person later?
  • How do the choices I make today affect how others see me currently and in the future?
  • What impact can I have on my own life and on others around me?
  • How can I contribute to society? 

 

40 Reflection Questions for Students